Sunday, June 29, 2014

Tiny House Heating: Part 2

Option #2- Wood:


I have to admit, the idea of having a tiny wood stove in my tiny house has me squirming in delight. I have spent a ton of time looking into this option. There is something about having a "true" fireplace that just can't be beat. The smell, the sound of cracking wood. The Idea sounds romantic. 

Some advantages in choosing a wood stove may include: scrap wood could heat the house. You can cook on top of it, and boil water. 

However, some possible drawbacks I can see are wood storage space, clearance requirements, and operation learning curve. How much wood would I have to stockpile? How hard is it to clean a wood stove? How hard is it to operate one? What types of wood would I burn? 



The Hobbit 




This little beauty has wormed its way into my heart already. The large glass front, cast iron body and economical design makes this one of my favorite wood stoves that I have seen. It comes in different colors and looks easy to operate. 




The owner of Salamander Stoves (John Salamander) has a series of YouTube videos, where he explains various aspects of this stove. How to unpack, take care of, light, feed, and so on. I really enjoyed watching in action. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99pRoyEAU90rNuIBtU4bwQ

Unfortunately it is made in the UK, so ordering and shipping might be a bit of an issue. But I see them occasionally on Ebay locally. 

Cost: £475.00  so about $805, plus shipping I would imagine.
Dimensions: 465mm x 302mm x 272
Heat output: 4Kw (wow)





The Sardine


As you might be able to tell by the name, this tiny stove is another marine gem. I love how small it is, plus you can get an optional glass insert on the front. It boasts a great cook surface as well. The company offers porcelain finishes on their stoves, but it costs an extra $850 and can take a very long time.





The only real hang ups I have about it is the cost (about 1400 all added up) and the side load. I wonder how this would effect the angle you need to place it in your home. Also wait time to get one looks long, not a quick option by any means. (But looks worth the wait)


Dimentions: 12 x 12 x 11 inches (one of the smallest I have found)
Weight: 35 lbs
Heat output: 7,500 - 18,000

If this is too small for you, they make a slightly larger made called the Little Cod 


More Info: http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm


Over all, this matter will take some more thought and research. Ill post later when I have made a decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment