Thursday, June 12, 2014

Tiny House Heating

What heat source will I choose for my tiny house? What are the different types? How do they impact the environment? How much do they cost to run?


I want to heat my tiny house in a way that is not dependent on electricity. It the power goes out, I do not want to have to break out the trusty ol' sleeping bag and blankets. Plus, some of the models I have come across are amazingly cute and perfect for a tiny house! Choosing one will be a challenge. I have put together a list of my current favorites.

I have decided my heat will be either an LP (Propane) or a wood stove. The both have pros and cons, but both are viable option and I'm stuck between these awesome options! Good thing I have a while to decide.

Option #1- Propane: 


I will already have propane hooked up for my stove so routing an additional gas line to the fireplace should be a small matter. The compact profile, and small clearance needed, makes propane an excellent option for a heat source. Things to think about: How much does propane cost? How much propane should I expect to use during the winter? What is the environmental impact of the making of and burning propane? 

The Mini Franklin 






This tiny fireplace looks so inviting and perfect. Its small footprint is great and it produces an impressive 8,000 BTU's. I like this model because it is a traditional look in a tiny package. One perk of the propane heaters I have found is the smaller clearance needed than the wood stoves. Space is a valuable commodity, and this certainly packs a punch for the small amount it takes up. 


Also, this vent does not extend out of the top, so for me, the visual appeal is greater than the next option on the list. 





Some Specs:  

Dimentions: 17"x14.5"x15" , 72 lbs and has 6,677-8,349 BTU/hr. Recommended sf heating is 100-400

Cost: $1299 and availability is limited, you will have to order in advance. 

More Info: http://www.woodstove.com/mini-franklin







Dickinson Newport Fireplace 





I have seen this LP fireplace EVERYWHERE! It seems to be a favorite among the tiny house community. What makes it so popular? I will have to research and see how people are liking it.

This fireplace features an attractive glass front to the unit and is wall mounted so it is very low profile (only 8 inches for the bigger one!). It is from a marine com pane, so it is designed for small spaces and cold/damp environments.

There are 2 models to choose from. The Newport P-9000 and the P-1200. Not much difference in price at $1118.55 and $1278.00 respectively. The 1200 is a couple inches larger and produces up to 1,000 more Btu's.






Some Specs: (P-12000)


Dimentions Width 10", Height 16", Depth 7.25"
Heat Output: 4,000 to 5,500 BTU's


More info: http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php


P.S. They also have some wicked stoves! Small and compact, plus they look like they could survive a hurricane. A tad spendy, and probably out of my price range. But hey, a girl can dream ;)

P.S.S. Their stoves feature a cutting board that fits over the burners. I may have to incorporate this into my design over the stovetop and maybe the sink. Extra counter space and smoother lines.






Option #2 Wood coming soon in Part 2! 


No comments:

Post a Comment